Last updated: June 30, 2021
Protecting your privacy. Improving your online experience. Your trust is very important to us.
That’s why we want to be clear and transparent about why we collect information, the information we collect, how we use that information, and the choices you have regarding our use of it. We may also collect, use, and share aggregate or anonymous data that doesn’t identify you.
We collect information to save you time and money, and to make your online experience better.
- We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it
- We’re transparent about how and why we collect information
- The information we collect helps us provide value to our customers that include savings and enhancing their online experience
We’re also committed to ensuring that our communications are accessible to people with disabilities. To make accessibility-related requests, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why We Collect Your Information
Below are examples of how we collect, use, and share data to help us create a better, safer experience on our website and mobile applications.
- Providing products and services that enhance your online experience with us
- Developing new products and services to meet your needs
- Better understanding your use of our products, services, and website
- Determining your satisfaction with our products and services
- Handling customer support cases
- Analyzing the performance of our products, services, and online experience, and looking for ways to make them better
- Sending relevant information and personalized ads and other communications, including ways to save on items you buy most often or that you might like based on your past interests
- Providing personalized content and experiences on our website, mobile app, and mail
- Displaying personalized offers, information and ads from Home Chef or our marketing partners (as defined in “How We Share Your Information") on other websites and mobile apps
- Sending product recall notifications to help keep you and your family safe
- Responding to your comments, requests, questions, and applications for career opportunities
- Processing payments securely
- Fulfilling orders correctly
- Safeguarding the property or other rights of our customers, associates, and the company
- To detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecute those responsible for that activity
- Legal compliance for purchase of certain products or where otherwise required by law
Learn More About How We Use Information We Collect
We use the categories of personal information described in “What Personal Information We Collect” to support the following use cases:
- Sending marketing communications such as product discounts and personalized promotions and special offers
- Providing product or service functionality that you have requested (such as online payment, fulfilling subscription services, etc.)
- To communicate with you about orders, purchases, services, accounts, contests, and sweepstakes
- Responding to communications you send us
- Assisting you with customer support requests and inquiries
- Developing and distributing new products and services like mobile apps
- Completing e-commerce transactions
- Delivering advertisements and promotions to you when you’ve visited our website, used our mobile app, or otherwise engaged with us online
- Displaying interest-based advertising for products, services, promotions, and other business activities you may be interested in
- Developing statistics on engagement with our online properties and measuring how well our marketing and promotional activities perform
- Identifying and preventing fraud or identity theft
- Maintaining appropriate records for internal administrative and other business purposes
- Facilitating the functionality of our website and mobile app
- Providing notice of product recalls
- Performing basic applicant, employment, and management functions including the collection of information necessary to mitigate public health risks in our facilities, or for the resolution of safety investigations
- At times, Home Chef may provide third parties with certain personal information to provide or improve our products and services, including to deliver products at your request, or to help Home Chef market or advertise relevant products and services to you; when we do, we require those third parties to handle it in accordance with relevant laws
- Other purposes as described to you at the time
How We Collect Your Information
What Personal Information We Collect
Here are the categories of personal information we may collect from you or about you. All categories may not be collected about every individual.
- Unique Personal Identifiers that may include but aren’t limited to your legal name or preferred alias, online identifiers like user account name, state and federal government ID number (where required), and your signature Demographic Information like your level of education, type of employment, or other demographic information shared with us through third parties, such as social media or publicly available sources
- Contact Information such as your email or postal address and phone number
- Financial and Payment Information such as credit and debit card numbers
- Behavioral Information such as your purchase and transaction histories, geolocation data, IP address collected from your computers and mobile devices, and information about what you do online, including your interactions with our social media posts
- Inferences we make about you like demographic interest segments that we believe are relevant to you and your household based on analysis of other information we’ve collected
- Characteristics of protected classifications under state or federal law, such as gender and nationality
- Call center recordings or monitoring records from our customer contact centers
- Other types of personal information that we may disclose to you prior to the point of first collection
There’s also some personal information that you voluntarily share with us. This includes information used to create an account on our website, or where required by law. For example:
- Name, address, phone number, and email address
- Payment information
- Communication and shopping preferences
- An encrypted version of your password
If you’re an employee or job applicant, we may collect additional information, including employment information, such as occupation, title, licenses, professional memberships, and other information to perform basic employment and management functions, including distributing payroll and providing benefits. If you’re applying for a job, we may collect contact information about you during the course of your application for employment such as contact information to correspond with you concerning potential employment opportunities and other information such as background information and your employment qualifications and history.
Our website is for a general audience and isn’t geared toward children. We don’t knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 16 without prior consent of a parent or guardian. If you believe your child may have disclosed personal information to us, please call 1-872-225-2433 and we’ll remove it.
Sources of Personal Information
We collect some information when you visit our website or use our mobile app, or when you use our online services or view our online advertisements. The information we may collect falls into three different main categories: (1) information you give us; (2) information we collect from you automatically; and (3) information we collect from other sources. These other sources may be service providers, data brokers, consumer research firms, publicly available sources, or other third parties with whom you interact or do business. For example, when you connect to our website or mobile app through a third party, we may collect information from their website. For example, if you choose to associate your social media identity with Home Chef, the site may provide us with certain information from your social media account as permitted by your account settings.
Associating Personal Information from Multiple Sources
We may collect this information and link it to other information we already know about you. For example, when you’re logged in to our website or use our mobile app, we may link the device IDs or types to your account to understand your online activity so we can provide a better experience.
This includes pages you visit on our website, items you add to your online shopping list, coupons you download and redeem from us, and purchase information. In addition, we may collect information when you use our mobile app, including device location (if you choose to turn this feature on).
Cookies, Web Beacons, and Other Technologies
When you visit our website, access our mobile app, or open one of our emails, we may automatically collect information about you using device identifiers, cookies, and other technologies, including:
- Internet Protocol address
- Unique device or user ID
- System and browser type
- Referring website address
- Content and pages you access on our website or mobile app
- Dates, times, and locations when actions take place
Like other online advertising providers, we use this technology for system administration and troubleshooting, to identify you so we can enhance your online experience, and to deliver interest-based advertising. Our sites don’t respond to browser Do-Not-Track signals. These cookies are often collected by or otherwise shared with service providers as well as third-party advertising partners, as described further in our About Advertising section below.
One form of cookie we may use is associated with Google Analytics advertising. Our participation in the Google Analytics program will enable Google to collect non-personally identifying information about your usage of our website and the Internet. For more about how Google uses that data, and how to opt out of Google Analytics, please see this webpage: https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/.
To manage your cookie preferences, click the button below.
How We Share Your Information
We share the information we collect within Home Chef, with our parent company The Kroger Co., and with our affiliates, service providers, marketing partners, and other third parties.
We may share data with third parties for the following business purposes:
Within Home Chef, with our parent company, and with our affiliates: We may share your information within our company and our subsidiaries and affiliated companies for the purposes of decision making, reporting, management, analysis, promoting product and service offerings, and other business purposes.
Service Providers: We may share your information with our service providers who provide us support services such as hosting our website, postal delivery and electronic mail, mobile messages, product and service delivery, conducting analysis to improve our products and website, fulfilling orders you place, managing payments, and answering your questions. Service providers only use the information they receive from us for the purposes we hired them for; we don’t allow them to retain, use, disclose, or otherwise handle the data for their own purposes.
Marketing Partners: We may share your information to display online, mobile, or other advertising based on your purchases, activity on websites and mobile apps, and preferences you share with us so we can provide you with promotions and special offers that may interest you. We may also share information with marketing partners to help us analyze data and provide more relevant, personalized communications to you, sometimes combined with other sources.
We may use your purchase history to help Home Chef and other third-party brands present advertisements that are more relevant to you on Home Chef and third-party websites, mobile apps, and other digital media channels. We won’t increase the number of ads you see, but instead will help deliver more personalized advertisements and offerings to you.
We create a customized and engaging customer experience on our website and mobile app by displaying advertisements that are personalized. Interest-based ads (also sometimes called “personalized” or “targeted” ads) are displayed to you based on information collected from your online interactions across multiple websites that you visit, or across multiple devices you may use, to predict your preferences and show you ads that are most likely to be of interest to you. To provide you with relevant content and offers that may be useful to you, we may partner with third-party companies to display content, offers, or advertising that’s tailored to your interests based on how you browse and shop on both Home Chef-owned and operated sites and other sites. These third-party companies use information and technologies such as browser type, hardware or software information, cookies, session ID, time or date, click-stream information, or static IP addresses.
We may provide information to third-party companies that display purchase-based or interest-based ads. In addition, others (advertisers and ad networks, ad serving companies, or other service providers) may infer user interests or purchase history based on interactions with, or clicks on, personalized ads or content. You can learn more about interest-based advertising, and navigate to options that will allow you to exercise your rights to opt-out of online behavioral advertising, by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative’s Learn More Page or the Digital Advertising Alliance.
How We Protect Your Information
We implement and maintain reasonable security practices and procedures appropriate to the nature of the information we maintain, including appropriate technical, administrative, and physical procedures to prevent loss, misuse, or alteration of your information online and offline. That way, access to data is limited using technological safeguards. We also comply with payment card industry data security standards for the processing of credit and debit card transactions. Only our associates who need the information to perform a specific job are granted permission to access to our customers’ data. Associates who violate customer privacy safeguards are subject to disciplinary action, including termination.
It is your responsibility to select a strong password, not reuse or share your password, and alert us if you have any concerns about unauthorized use of your account. We encourage you to use complex passwords and to change them regularly.
Retention of Personal Information
We store personal information we’ve collected from or about you:
- Where you’ve created an account on our website or our mobile app; and
- Long enough to enable us to contact you with recalls and other safety-related information that relates to products you’ve bought from us
Your Communication Preferences, Privacy Rights, and Choices
We value our relationship with you, and communications are an important part of that relationship.
We understand that our customers are individuals, and communication preferences will vary by customer. That’s why we offer you the ability to manage what types of communications you receive from us, and the ability to manage or change your preferences. Here’s how you can do so:
Email, Mobile, and Online Communications
If you have an online account with us, you can manage your subscriptions to email, mobile, and online communication programs via your Account Settings.
You can control your exposure to most interest-based advertising through the Digital Advertising Alliance, a group that has developed self-regulatory principles for interest-based advertising. Visit YourAdChoices.com for more information. In addition, some websites (such as Facebook) offer the ability to opt out of interest-based advertising directly on their sites. Please allow a reasonable amount of time for any changes to take effect.
Your Rights and Choices
Nevada Privacy Rights
If you live in Nevada, you can opt out of the sale of your personal information by contacting us at 1-872-225-2433. Our customer support center personnel will take your request and keep you up to date on the progress of your request.
California Privacy Rights
California defines Personal Information as information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household.
If you live in California, you have some additional rights with respect to certain Personal Information we collect about you. This includes:
- Learn about the categories of Personal Information we’ve collected from or about you in the past 12 months
- Get a copy of Personal Information that we’ve collected from or about you no more than twice every 12 months
- Learn about the kinds of third parties with whom we may’ve shared your Personal Information
- Obtain the categories of Personal Information that we may’ve sold or otherwise shared in the past 12 months
- Learn about the categories of third parties we may’ve sold your Personal Information to
- Request that your Personal Information be removed from our systems
- Opt out from our sales of your Personal Information
- Lodge complaints about the way we handle your Personal Information
You can make requests to receive copies of Personal Information and to have Personal Information deleted on behalf of members of your household by submitting requests on their behalf along with written authorization from each member of your household.
You can also submit requests through an agent (like a membership organization you belong to, your attorney, or someone else you trust) that you have authorized in writing to act on your behalf. To do so you’ll need to either present a power of attorney for them to act on your behalf or give your agent your written and signed permission to do so.
Either way, we’ll need to verify your identity if you want copies of your Personal Information, to know about what categories of Personal Information we collect and sell, or to have your Personal Information deleted. We’ll ask you to provide several data points like name, address, and account number to match against the information we have in our systems. We have this process so we can verify the identity of the consumer making the request to a reasonable degree of certainty as detailed in the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). We want to be sure that we’re returning potentially sensitive information about you or the things that you buy on our website only to you or your agent authorized to receive it. If we can’t verify your identity, we’ll have to reject your request. Otherwise, we’ll notify you when your request has been completed. In accordance with the CCPA regulations, we won’t disclose certain sensitive information in response to a request for access to specific pieces of personal information, including Social Security number, driver’s license number, or other government- issued identification number, financial account number, any health insurance or medical identification numbers, account passwords, or unique biometric data. If you’re making requests on behalf of your household, we’ll also need to verify the identities of each member of your household.
To exercise these rights, contact us through one of the methods described in “Contacting Our Privacy Program” below. Requests are generally free of charge, and we’ll generally process your request within 45 days unless we have a specific reason for an extension of time. If for any reason we can’t fulfill your request in whole or in part, we’ll also let you know.
Sales of Personal Information
We’re committed to delivering great products, great experiences, and great value. From time to time, we may share your information, which may include personal identifiers, demographic information, behavioral information, or inferences to provide the most relevant product recommendations and deliver marketing messages and personalized offers through select companies (e.g., analytics, advertising, and technology companies). Under California law, some of these efforts may be considered a “sale” of personal information to those select companies. Those companies help us match your interests with brands who want to send promotions and offers that we believe save you money on products you buy frequently, and help you discover new products or services that you might like. When we work with these companies, your privacy, data integrity, and security remain a priority. Our normal practice is to have contractual limits on the current and future use of your personal information by those companies and only provide the minimum data necessary to accomplish the specific goal (e.g., to provide you with personalized offers) and deliver a better experience and value to you. We also facilitate your right to opt out of this data sharing. When requesting to opt out of this type of data sharing, we’ll need to verify your identity, so we’ll ask you to provide information like your name, address, and account number to match against the information we have in our systems. We’ll never ask for sensitive information such as passwords, Social Security numbers, bank account information, or other personal information. We have this process so we can verify the identity of the consumer making the request to a reasonable degree of certainty as detailed in the CCPA. If we can’t verify your identity, we’ll have to reject your request. Otherwise, we’ll notify you when your request has been completed.
To exercise the right to opt out of sale, click on our Do Not Sell My Personal Information link below, or contact us through one of the methods described in “Contacting Our Privacy Program” section below.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information
CCPA Metrics Report
We’ve prepared a report on the status of CCPA privacy requests for the previous year. This report details the number of requests to know, requests to delete, and requests to opt out of sale that we received, complied with, and denied, as well as the mean number of days within which we responded to each privacy request.
To view the CCPA metrics report, click here.
Contacting Our Privacy Program
Our customer support centers are ready to take your requests. If you have any questions, privacy requests, or complaints about how we collect, use, share, or otherwise handle your personal information, you can reach us by telephone at 1-872-225-2433 or click here to exercise your privacy rights.